After the great success of the International Federation of Training and Development Organisations (IFTDO) Global HRD Awards over the past four years, IFTDO announces the IFTDO Global HRD Awards 2014. Each year, the IFTDO recognizes the projects and research that have made a real difference, as well as the effort and application of the people who have made them possible. The awards have been donated by the Dubai Police Academy and Court of the Prime Minister of Bahrain.
We are also very pleased to announce that we have added a third category of an academic award to cover research excellence in human resources development (HRD). This award will be judged by a specialist international panel of academic judges.
The winners of the IFTDO Global HRD 2014 Awards will be announced at the 43rd IFTDO World Conference to be held at Dubai, UAE, from March 10 to 12, 2014.
IFTDO Award Categories
There will be three categories in which submissions can be made. These are:
- Best HRD Practice: Contributing to business growth through the use of HRD systems and strategies.
- Improved Quality of Working Life (particular interest in entries, focusing on developing countries).
- Research Excellence Award: Given to the author(s) of the outstanding HRD paper published or presented at a conference in the previous year contributing new knowledge and practice to the HRD profession. Demonstrating key elements:
- theoretical or practical, or both, importance of the problem
- appropriateness of approach or methods, or both, used
- extent to which the results justify the conclusions
- impact upon the HRD community
The IFTDO Awards
There will be three Awards-(i) An Overall Winner from any one category who would receive a prize of $5000, a memento and a Certificate to note their achievement, and (ii) two Category winners from other two categories, who would each receive a prize of $2000, a memento and a Certificate to note their achievements. Certificates of Merit may also be awarded to some other organizations with notable achievements.
In addition, the cost of cheapest economy air fare plus 2-nights hotel accommodation for one representative each of the Winner and the Runners-up for attending the Award ceremony will be met by IFTDO. Certificates of Merit awardees, if any, will have to attend the Award ceremony at their own cost.
Achieve immediate recognition among the global HRD community by winning the IFTDO Award. It is also an accolade that reflects on your organization, helping to raise its profile with stakeholders including customers, partners, suppliers, students, and future employees. Awardees will be highlighted in the IFTDO newsletter, website, and in our member organization publications and academic journals.
Entries come from a wide range of sources–individuals, small and large corporations, government departments, and non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Successful entries will demonstrate how a particular business, organizational performance issue, or opportunity was tackled through an HRD initiative demonstrating how business or organizational performance was enhanced. This might be through increased growth and profitability, but can also be related to more specific objectives in NGOs and not-for-profit organizations. At all times, the judges will be looking for evidence of innovation and creativity that sets new standards in best practice.
Additional Entry Criteria for the Research Excellence Award
All of the criteria detailed below are of equal value and they are not weighted. Members of the academic judging panel will take the criteria in the round in ranking the nominated papers. This means that it is possible the paper with the highest ranking may not fully meet every individual criteria but it does nevertheless meet most of the criteria better than any other paper in the opinion of the judges.
- The paper is drawn from and has a focus on professional HRD practice.
- The paper has a direct and overt content detailing reflection and its outcomes.
- The findings and conclusions of the paper have potential value and application in professional HRD practice.
- The research design and procedures reflect a partnership approach between academics and professional HRD practitioners.
- The writing is such that the paper will appeal to both academic and practitioner journals and readers and is of high quality.
The IFTDO award judges will be looking for three key attributes:
- How the HRD initiative overcame a particular business issue, opportunity, or organizational problem.
- The direct impact on the overall business or organizational performance, whether in terms of growth, profitability, or meeting specific objectives. The second award categories focus will be on improving quality of working life and societal benefits.
- Good structure and presentation of the submission.
Particular attention will be paid to innovative and creative solutions that set new standards of best practice in the HRD aspects of people management.
How to Enter
Rules of entry and entry forms are available via the IFTDO website: www.iftdo.net. Entries may be submitted by IFTDO member organizations and organizations who currently are not members of IFTDO. The entries need to include a brief overview of the project in no more than 1,000 words. Entries can be submitted by organizations and individuals alike.
Note: There must be a separate entry form for the Research Excellence Award.
The Judging Process
There is an international panel of judges consisting of eminent persons in the HR and academic field. There is also a specialist international academic panel who will judge the research award category. The judging process for the IFTDO award falls into two main stages:
Stage one: Stage one is the key assessment process to determine which entries will proceed to the judging day. This is based on the review of the information submitted with the entries.
Stage two: A shortlist of finalists will be selected from stage one. If considered necessary, representatives from concerned organisations may be invited to a judging teleconference or meeting or further submission.
The Awards will be decided and the Awardees will be informed within 2 months of the closing date of the Awards.
Presentations of Awards
Awards will be presented at the awards ceremony, to be held during 43rd IFTDO World Conference in Dubai from March 10-12, 2014, where the winner and certificate of merit awardees of IFTDO Global HRD Awards will receive their awards and acknowledgments at an international reception.