April is here and THE Performance Improvement Conference is just around the corner. While THE Conference is jam-packed with invaluable educational and networking experiences, it also can be overwhelming and stressful. With so much going on, it is best to prepare ahead of time to ensure you get the most out of your conference experience. With your game plan in place, you can show up to the conference confident and ready to learn and network.
Some tips for preparing for the conference:
- Bring plenty of fresh, up-to-date business cards. If you do not have any current business cards, look into printing some at home or at a printer, such as Vistaprint or Overnight Prints.
- Reach out to contacts you made at past conferences and make plans to connect again at the conference this year. But do not overbook yourself! You still want to have plenty of time for attending presentations and meeting new people.
- Do some pre-event networking on LinkedIn, Twitter (#ISPI12), and Facebook. Start a discussion with other conference attendees and make plans to meet up at the conference to continue the conversation.
- Look over the conference schedule and select activities you want to attend. A number of events at THE Conference run concurrently, so you may have to pick and choose those you are most interested in.
- Make reservations for conference activities that require additional registration, such as pre-conference workshops, Career Center one-on-one sessions, or the Emerging Professionals Speed Mentoring sessions.
- Review the educational sessions and roundtable topics to decide which presentations you want to attend. Choose at least one topic that is outside your comfort zone, so you will be exposed to new content and new people.
And of course, register for THE Conference if you have not already! It also does not hurt to verify your hotel reservation and flight information. And do not forget your passport if you live outside of Canada.